The NSS is a scheme executed by Central Govt. in all Indian Universities & also in Maharashtra. The University NSS Cell with the help of programme Co-ordinator Mr. S.D. Ingale and 254 Programme officers from 175 affiliated colleges and the P.G. Students implements the NSS Scheme with the motto of 'Personality Development through Social Service.
The NSS functions in two parts
- Regular activities-(work) : No. Of students 22250
- Special Camps for 10 days : No. Of students 1125
The Students will have to work for a minimum period of 120 hours and will receive a certificate on completion of NSS. Under the NSS Scheme the students undertake following programs.
- Problems related to health check up camps, AIDS awareness, Pulse Polio vaccination, Leprosy testing, Earth-Quake relief funds, Anti Pollution campaigns Etc.
- Construction of Roads, Wells, Toilets, Sockpits etc.
- Village cleanness programme, Literacy programme, Play ground development programme, Anti Plastic campaign, Anti Superstitions Campaign.
It also aims at developing confidence and leadership qualities among students. In short, it provides a platform for over all mind, body and soul development which is beneficial to students and society.