The department of Chemistry is one of first five departments established by the Shivaji University in 1964. It offers programs such as M.Sc., M.Phil. and Ph.D. degrees. The Department is one of the best for its teaching and research activities. The M.Sc. course has Organic, Inorganic, Physical and Analytical Chemistry specializations. The M.Sc Industrial and Applied Chemistry courses were introduced to meet the overwhelming response of chemistry graduates. The department of Chemistry is the prime department of the University with nearly 400 students in P.G. courses and 50 research students in the academic year. The department is recognized by pharmaceutical industries as a producer of the scientific man power. The alumni of the department are holding the higher positions in National Laboratories, Institutions and Universities of our country as well as abroad. The department is sponsored by Department of Science and Technology (DST) under FIST program and by University Grant Commission (UGC) under SAP-DRS program. The employment response is more than 90%. The research work carried in the department is of international status with total number of publications so far are 1500. The faulty of the department are reviewers for the national and international journals. The total number of major research projects completed by the faculty in last five years is nine.
- Best education and research programs in nanosceince and technology areas and
- To develop the department as center of excellence in all aspects of education, research and development of basic technology in chemistry.
Long Term Goals
- To caters the need of Pharmaceutical, dyes, polymer and agrochemical Industries.
- Development of new synthetic methodologies for functional materials.
- Best resource for students and researchers
- Strong collaboration with Institutions, universities and Industries of international repute.
- Utilization of excellent facilities.
- To offer the analytical and consultancy service to pharmaceutical, Inorganic industries.
Short Term mission
- It is proposed to start the courses in the emerging areas as per UGC guidelines in the several disciplines like environment chemistry, Agro chemistry, Photochemistry, Information and Nano Technology, material science, pharmaceutical computational chemistry.
Thrust Areas of Research
Chemistry department has covered a broad canvass of research activities competing basic as well as applied research and contributed significantly by publishing research papers. Materials science, solution chemistry, catalysis, synthetic chemistry, photochemistry, separation science, nanoscience are the areas of intense research in the department. The major activities of the department pertain to research in the area of advanced materials, natural products and development of newer synthetic methodologies for organic, inorganic and hybrid materials. Some of the topics in basic research being persuade are the structural aspects of solid materials and their films on suitable substrates, nano sized particles in different media, surfactant assisted preparation of micelle and enhanced luminescence from doped organic semiconductors.
- Development of new methodologies in organic synthesis and development of Green Chemistry concept. Synthesis, Characterization and Applications of organometallic compounds. (Schiff’s base metal complexes).
- Smart materials, Nanomaterials and Optoelectronics.
- Development new techniques for polymer thin film preparation.
- Separation Science and Analytical applications.
- Supramolecular Chemistry, Molecular Recognition, Catalysis and Perevapouration.
M.Sc. Chemistry Courses in following specializations
- Organic Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry
- Industrial Chemistry
- Applied Chemistry
Academic Programmes Offered
M.Sc. (Theory & Dissertation)
Certificate course in Analytical Instrumentation
M. Sc. Program
- M. Sc. Entrance test in the Month of April.
- Admission in the month of May on the basis of merit in the entrance and B. Sc. marks.
- Teaching program starts in the first week of June.
- Internal test conducted in the month of August and September.
- Semester I and III examinations in October/November.
- Semester practical examinations in the month of November.
- Results of semester I and III in the month of December.
- Second term commences from 1st December.
- Internal test in the month of January and February.
- Semester II and IV examination in the month of March.
- Practical examinations in the month of April.
- Results of the semester II and IV in the month of May.
Scholarships & Financial Support to the students
- Ekalavay Scholarships
- Raghunath Mashelkar Scholarship
- University Merit scholarships
Financial support from non-government agencies
- Dr.B .N. Kulkarni Charitable Trust, Sangli
- Durgadevi Charitable Trust, Pune
- Sitaram Zindal Fountation, Banglore
- Smt. Sitabai Shantaram Vayagnakar Scholarship
- Malhotra Weikfield Foundation, Pune
Number of Research Publications
List of publications of department is testimony of the quality research being carried out by the faculty. The department has published about 1500 research papers in national and international journals having high impact factor. The citation index of the papers is also appreciating.
- Prof. Mark Humphrey, Molecular materials Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
- Radiochemistry Division, Health Physics Division and Chemistry Division, BARC Mumbai, India.
- NCL, Pune.
- University of Jammu and Kashmir, Department of Physics for Crystallographic Study, India.
- MoU-With Sungkyankwan University, South Korea.
- Analysis of silver containing ores.
- Analysis of effluent from industries.
- Analysis of hypo solution for silver content.
- Analysis of alloy.
- Analysis of alcohols.
- Analysis of ayurvedic medicines.
- Water analysis.
- Food and oil anlysis.
Placements of the students
M.Sc. pass out students are highly valued in teaching profession, R&D department of Industries, Institutions and other management sectors. The department is encouraging and inspiring the student to join the research program in our Universities and also the Ph.D. programs of the other Universities of Maharashtra. Many of the Alumni have completed Doctoral and Post Doctoral program in the foreign Universities. The department is arranging campus placements program for providing job opportunities to the students with the cooperation of following industries.
The Chemistry Department has conducted six national seminars and two international symposia. Russian Foundation for scientific partnership awarded a Gold Medal to Shivaji University for organizing International Symposium on “Drug discovery and processes research”. Department has conducted 17 refresher courses for University and College teachers and about 15 workshops to provide special coaching to P.G. students appearing for NET /SET and other competitive examinations.
|Prof. M.A. Anuse||Prof. & Head||M.Sc.Ph.D.|
|Prof. M. B. Deshmukh||Professor||M.Sc.Ph.D.|
|Prof. P. P. Hankare||Professor||M.Sc.Ph.D.|
|Prof. S.R. Patil||Professor||M.Sc.Ph.D.|
|Prof. B.S. Mohite||Professor||M.Sc.Ph.D.|
|Prof. P. N. Bhosale||Professor||M.Sc.Ph.D.|
|Prof. G. S. Gokavi||Professor||M.Sc.Ph.D.|
|Dr. U. V. Desai||Professor||M.Sc.Ph.D.|
|Dr.(Mrs.) R.S. Salunkhe||Professor||M.Sc.Ph.D.|
|Dr. S. S. Chavan||Professor||M.Sc.Ph.D.|
|Dr. K. M. Garadkar||Associate Professor||M.Sc.Ph.D.|
|Dr. G. B. Kolekar||Associate Professor||M.Sc.Ph.D.|
|Dr. D. H. Dagade||Assistant Professor||M.Sc.,Ph.D.,NET|
|Dr. D. M. Pore||Assistant Professor||M.Sc.Ph.D.|
|Dr. P. V. Anbhule||Assistant Professor||M.Sc.Ph.D.|
|Dr. G. S. Rashinkar||Assistant Professor||M.Sc.Ph.D.|
|Dr. S. A. Sankpal||Assistant Professor||M.Sc.Ph.D.|
|Dr. D. S. Bhange||Assistant Professor||M.Sc.Ph.D.|
Department of Chemistry,
Shivaji University, Kolhapur