The Department of Biotechnology is established in 2003, in the University with a vision to attain new heights in Biotechnology teaching and research for the welfare of the society. Presently 20 students are working for their Ph. D. in the Department. The faculty members of the Department have published research papers in several International as well as National journals and presented research papers in International and National conferences and Symposia in last 5 years.
The Department is involved in Research areas like Microbial Biotransformation, Plant Biotechnology, Environmental Biotechnology, Molecular Biotechnology and Bioinformatics.
The Department is sponsored by Shivaji University, Kolhapur.
Facilities / Services Offered
Department has plant tissue culture facilities
Department has interdepartmental collaboration with Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology, Botany and Zoology for teaching as well as research.
Environmental Biotechnology, Plant Biotechnology, BioInformatics
Student Intake Capacity
30 students are admitted every year on the basis of entrance examination.
List of the equipments available with the Department:
- UV Visible spectrophotometer
- Spectrophotometer – Spectronic 20-D
- Cooling Centrifuges
- Cooling microfuge
- Orbital shaking incubators
- Electrophoresis units
- Electrical weighing scales
- Molecular Biology instruments.
However other sophisticated instruments are available with Department of Biochemistry and Common Facility Centre.
- Department has good support with National and International organizations.
- Modern infrastructure and facilities.
- Expert and extraordinary visiting faculty in the fields of Science and Technology.
Total area of the Department (in sq. Ft. / sqm.) = 8000 sq. Feet.
- Hod’s room attached with office
- Computer lab
- Plant tissue culture room (student lab)
- Animal tissue culture room (student lab)
- Media preparation room
- Tissue culture research lab -1
- Molecular biology lab
- Staff room cubicles – 4
- Seminar hall
- Laboratory - 1(for student use)
Total laboratory area of the Department (in sq. Ft. / sqm.) = 4500 sq. Feet.
Department of Bio-Technology,